writing sayings

Subject: writing sayings
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 08:30:46 -0500

Two more quotes, but both may be too long for a mug:

"Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should
contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary
sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have
no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.
This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short,
or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in
outline, but that every word tell."
quoted from _The Elements of Style_, William Strunk, Jr.
and E.B. White, third edition (1979) (although I think this
quote is the same in Strunk's original work)
- - - - -
"Precision of communication is important, more important
than ever, in our era of hair-trigger balances, when a false, or
misunderstood word may create as much disaster as a sudden
thoughtless act." James Thurber, _Lanterns and Lances_ (1961)
- - - - -
LaVonna Funkhouser lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com