Re: Computer-aided indexing

Subject: Re: Computer-aided indexing
From: Lori Lathrop <lathropl -at- DNS -dot- IRM -dot- R9 -dot- FWS -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 15:35:46 MDT

The American Society of Indexers (ASI) publishes A GUIDE TO INDEXING SOFTWARE
by Linda K. Fetters.

If you're looking for a good reference on indexing, I recommend the book by
Hans H. Wellisch: INDEXING FROM A TO Z (published by the H.W. Wilson Co.,
Bronx, NY, 1991).

Most professional indexers use either Cindex (developed by Indexing Research,
P.O. Box 18609, Rochester, NY 14618-0609) or Macrex (developed by Bayside
Indexing Service, 265 Arlington Avenue, Kensington, CA 94707); they both
cost about $500. You can get a working demo of Cindex for $35 (I *think*)
if you want to evaluate it first, and they'll credit you that amount if you
purchase the full version.

Mike -- Is this the info you wanted? If you need anything else, please feel
free to contact me directly or post your questions here. BTW, there's also
an indexing discussion group -- INDEX-L. To subscribe, send an e-mail
message to LISTSERV -at- BINGVMB -dot- CC -dot- BINGHAMTON -dot- EDU -dot-

Lori Lathrop
Lathrop Media Services
Georgetown, CO
INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
or lathropl -at- mail -dot- fws -dot- gov