Re: Internet guide (was- Inv

Subject: Re: Internet guide (was- Inv
From: "Bruce B. Harper" <BHARPER -at- VTVM1 -dot- CC -dot- VT -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 08:56:30 EDT

On Thu, 14 Oct 1993 16:20:48 EDT Vicki Rosenzweig said:
>It sounds tempting, but how large is it? If it's over, say, 10K,
>maybe you should collect names of people who want it, and just
>mail it to them.

>Vicki Rosenzweig
>vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com

I keep extoling the other virtues of LISTSERV software on lists I am on
because it does so much more than shuffle messages. If there is a file
that is of interest to a large number of people on the list, that file
can be stored on the OSUVM1 machine. It can then be retrieved by anyone
who wants it whenever they want it by using the GET filename filetype
command of LISTSERV. The files (and digests) that are available can be
checked with the INDEX TECHWR-L command. By putting this Internet guide
on the LISTSERV, then it will be there two months from now when someone
sends the message "I didn't get a copy of the guide. Can someone send
me a copy?" in hopes that someone remembers which guide he is talking
about.
So before flinging large files across the network (which is fine, don't
get me wrong), check with our friendly list owner and see if he will add
this guide to the TECHWR-L LISTSERV for future use. Perhaps there are
other files that could be added, also, such as a condensation of the
discussions about different software packages.
Have a good weekend.
Bruce

Administrative Display System Bruce B. Harper, Manager
129 Smyth Hall, Institutional Research
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0433
(703)231-5019
BHARPER -at- VTVM1 -dot- CC -dot- VT -dot- EDU