Graphics package for X windows

Subject: Graphics package for X windows
From: Jim Taylor <j -dot- taylor5 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1993 22:17:00 BST

From Jan E. Patterson on 10/14/93:

>> I'm sending this message on behalf of one of the programmers/
>> developers I work with. He is looking for a "professional
>> drawing or graphics package that runs on X windows." If
>> possible, this package should be compatible with DecWrite.

I don't know of a good flowcharting package for VMS, but any package
that can save the file as encapsulated PostScript (EPS) can be
used. In DECwrite, create a floating or fixed frame, then use Link
to Picture to put the EPS file in the frame. You will have to create
the flowchart in pieces that can fit in your frames. The EPS picture
cannot flow across pages.

>> Dan (the programmer) is not happy with the graphics capability
>> in DecWrite. He is wanting an easier way to do flow charts, etc.

DECwrite is definitely not a flowcharter, but, with a little practice,
you can create pictures in DECwrite fairly quickly. The diamonds are a
pain to draw, so I have started using a different representation for
them (one recommended in the Information Mapping Method).

If Dan does a lot of flowcharting, find another program that can export
to EPS. If Dan only does a few, send me a private E-mail, and I can
provide more info on how I draw them (that will save folks who don't use
DECwrite from a long message in TECHWR-L).

Regards from a fellow DECwrite user,

Jim Taylor
j -dot- taylor -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com