Re: Grad school vs. the world

Subject: Re: Grad school vs. the world
From: Stuart Selber <SSELBER -at- MTUS5 -dot- CTS -dot- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 10:14:49 EST

Susan Slattery writes:
I guess we've exhausted the grad school topic--but I have a related
query. I'm wondering how everyone feels about the appropriateness
of a Ph.D. I'm in the process ot applying to several programs. I'm
finishing up a master's this Spring (I have years of dat aprocessing
experience in user support and programming, some tech writing, and
teaching). Research and theory involve me, but am I closing doors on
most job opportunities except for teaching?
---------------------------End original message-------------------------

Susan - I don't think you're necessarily closing doors by pursuing a PhD. In
some ways you're opening up possibilities for consulting, research relating to
workplace writing, and managing work groups. Your degree may not position you
real well for contract writing: there are perhaps other, more useful ways to
prepare for that kind of work. Since I'm half-way through a dissertation on
hypertext I'll give you some personal advice: know *why* you want to pursue the
degree before you do so. Like most things worthwhile, it's a big commitment.
And it's not necessarily needed, or even desirable, for a lot of work related
to technical communication. A PhD, I think, will situate you for certain kinds
of work in our field. Just be sure that's what you want.

Stuart

Stuart Selber
Michigan Technological University