Re: Grad school vs. the world

Subject: Re: Grad school vs. the world
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 12:08:56 -0600

Susan

Stuart says some good things below. I work closely with the PhD program
at New Mexico State and I think people need to understand what a PhD is
and why they want one. It is a huge commitment of time and money and
psychic resources. It surely ought to position you for careers that
cannot be attained through experience in the workplace or a master';s
degree.

I'd say a Phd is first for people with true research interests, people who
want to study problems in disciplined ways. They might do that research
in a university or in a corporate research setting. Comapnies like Apple
and IBM, Microsoft and ATT or other Bells all depend on people who
understand communiction based research. I also see a Phd as the
appropirate credential for certain kinds of consulting and training, esp.
if you are independent. Some of my friends make a very good living doing
contract training ($200-500 K/year) and consulting and they couldn't do
that without a Phd. But they are also very smart, very savvy about the
presentation of self, and able to market their knowledge and skills.

I think I have the greatest job in the world--university professor in a
research institution with strong writing programs. I couldn't do it, of
course, without a PhD.

Steve Bernhardt