[no subject]

From: "Laura M. Myott" <myottlm -at- CRAFT -dot- CAMP -dot- CLARKSON -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 22:05:25 -0400

Subject: Job Search Information

Hello everyone,

I am asking for some assistance. I am currently a senior at Clarkson University
(in Potsdam, NY -- 30 minutes south of the Canadian border for the millions who
have never heard of Potsdam) and will graduate in May 1994 with a B.S. in
Computer Science and Technical Communications. I have been reading this list
for about a month now and been taking notes on some of the company names that
pass by.

Ideally, I would like to enter a career in software documentation. I believe
that my double major will give me an advantage because I have seen and
understand both the programming and documentation aspects of software. My main
problem is that since Clarkson is so well known for its engineering disciplines,
there are few on-campus recruiting opportunities for someone wanting to enter
a technical communications field. Most people come here looking for engineers
and the rest of us tend to be overlooked.

I have been working on my job search both through this list and the Career
Library. While I have been able to find information on some of the companies
I've found on the list, there are still many which I have not been able to find
even a phone number for. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me
some information, contact names, and addresses (or more correct ones) for the
following companies (personal opinions and advice are welcome):

Ansoft
Pittsburg, PA

Aspen Technology
Cambridge, MA 02141

Beacon Hill Software
P.O. Box 8494
Boston, MA 02114

Cray Research, Inc.
1440 Northland Drive
Mendota Heights, MN 55130
(have some info)

Datatel Minicomputer Company (?)
4375 Fair Lakes Court
Fairfax, VA 22033

Easel Corporation
25 Corporate Drive
Burlington, MA 01803

Hi-Speed Checkweigher
Ithaca, NY
(very interested in this location)

InterCon Systems Corporation
950 Herndon Parkway
Herndon, VA 22070

Intergraph
Huntsville, AL (?)

Measurex Management Systems Division
1280 Kemper Meadow Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45240

NEC America, Inc.
8 Old Sod Farm Rd.
Melville, NY 11747-3112

Proteon Inc.
2 Technology Drive
Westborough, MA 01581-1799

SAS Institute, Inc.
100 SAS Campus Drive
Cary, NC 27513-2414

Sherpa Corporation

Sapiens Technology

I have already written to some of you personally so I didn't include
those companies on the list. But, if you do have any additional information,
please send it. Also, if you are not on this list, it is probably because I
haven't seen your company name yet so any information is appreciated.

I am searching for openings primarily in the East coast to Mid-West
regions, but any information at all is welcomed. As far as my experience,
I worked at Xerox this past summer and did some internal documentation. Also,
I will be doing my TC internship this Spring (probably documenting Gopher --
I'm not quite sure right now) as well as an independent study involving some
technical editing.

Please respond in private, unless you believe it is something which
everyone would be interested in (I've cluttered the list enough already).
Thank you for your assistance and your time. Hopefully, I won't be one of
the many (I'm sure there will be many) unemployed college graduate statistics
in the Spring.

Sincerely,

Laura Myott
Clarkson '94