Re: Tele-commuting

Subject: Re: Tele-commuting
From: Dave Venzke <dven -at- CLEO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 16:06:00 EDT

Alun Whittaker <alun -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM> asked the following:
>Does anyone have any convincing data that I can show my boss comparing the
> relative cost and productivity of tech writers working in the office and
> working at home?

In the Winter 1992/93 Issue of _Independent Perspective_, the Newsletter of
the Society for Technical Communication's Consulting and Independent
Contracting Professional Interest Committee, Steve Whitney had a front page
story on Telecommuting. His story discussed a federal management project
called Flexiplace, and he claimed the project "identified an extremely
cost-effective means to increase the productivity, morale, and quality of
results obtained by knowledge workers in the federal service."

The project was chartered by the President's Council on Management Improve-
ment to observe the results of eliminating excess job-related travel from
the schedules of federal workers.

Mr. Whitney went on to write: "Strategies for introducing the concept to a
company are worth developing collectively, and I invite any interested
participants to call me at 301-270-4679 to join me in this work."

He ends with: "For information on Flexiplace, call Dr. Wendell Joice,
Research Psychologist, Office of Personnel Management, at 202-606-0860."

Also, if you're interested in the Home Office Computing article mentioned
by Anatole Wilson:

Home Office Computing
411 Lafayette St.
New York NY 10003