Re: Q: Word vs. Frame

Subject: Re: Q: Word vs. Frame
From: nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 09:21:23 MST

>I am currently using Word to produce some lengthy manuals. They are
>nothing fancy, printed in-house, etc...However, because of their length, I
>have run into many problems with Word. I am saving each chapter as a
>separate file, which leads to many problems in pagination, printing, etc.

>Katie Schuler
>ABB, Automated Distribution Division
>Raleigh, NC

I am using Microsoft Word 5.1 for the Mac to create a manual. I've been
keeping my files to the recommended 20-30 page max, and using the Sections
feature within a file. According to Word documentation (abbreviations
mine), "if you are working with a long doc. that you've divided into
several docs., you can number the pages across the docs. by connecting them
in series. You can continue the numbering in each file where the last file
stopped."

This feature may not be available in earlier Word versions. Look in the
index for "Page number(s), documents in a series, numbering across."

Nancy Burns
National Solar Observatory, Tucson, AZ
nburns -at- noao -dot- edu