Re: Technical Writing vs. Marketing Writing

Subject: Re: Technical Writing vs. Marketing Writing
From: Alun Whittaker <alun -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 09:42:44 PST

From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>

As a former copywriter for a computer catalog company and a current
technical writer (excuse me--Information Developer), I see the line
between technical and marketing writing to be very, very, blurred.

Alun W. replies:

The reason for this in the common motivation shared by the two types
of writing. The technical writer must understand and "believe in"
the product in order to fulfil his pledge to communicate
truthfully and completely. The marketing writer is selling the
product and to be convincing a salesperson must first "sell it
to yourself".

Perhaps Woody Allen said it best:

"What you need in this (writing) business is sincerity. Once you
can fake that, you have it made!"

ALUN W.