Re: Value of a Ph.Ds.

Subject: Re: Value of a Ph.Ds.
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 10:40:30 -0700

> One problem I've noticed is that academic research, while being very
> complete and informative, frequently lacks any relevance to issues and
> problems encountered in the "corporate" world. For example, we're
> currently struggling with the shift to SGML and concomitant to that
> is the idea of writing "reusable" chunks of information. Are either
> of these issues being studied in the different writing programs?
> -ed costello
> costello -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Well, we read about SGML, and my students have published on it and
reported on it to their
classmates. And I write myself about chunks of language and encourage
writing teachers to think about how language on screen is different from
language on paper (See College Composition and Communiction, May 1993).

So we try to be relevant>