Re: Technical vs. writing knowledge

Subject: Re: Technical vs. writing knowledge
From: Rahul Ravel <rahul -at- ORNEWS -dot- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 16:47:09 -0800

Mike Hamity <mhamity -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com> writes:

>Steve Pope <spope -at- CHAR -dot- VNET -dot- NET> asks:

>> What knowledge is best for technical writers: technical or writing
>> knowledge.

>This is kind of like asking 'What's more important for a football
>player, speed or strength?' or 'What's more important for a peanut
>butter sandwich, bread or peanut butter?' To be master of your technical
>writing domain, you must be able to communicate technical information
>clearly. If you don't understand the technical information, you won't
>know what you're talking about. If you can't write clearly, no one else
>will know what you're talking about. If you're looking for career
>advancement, I'd say wearing nice clothes is as important as anything.

>Mike Hamity

I agree with Mike completely. I've asked the question of tech pubs
managers, recruiters, and have even seen a survey about this in
one of the STC journals (don't recall which one). Everybody
seems to have a varied opinion. It's probably cliche to say
that you should understand the subject well enough to communicate
it clearly....so I'm not going to say it. :-)

-Rahul Ravel "Only my own opinions here."

Technical Writer, Systems Group
Intel Corp, Oregon
rahul -at- ornews -dot- intel -dot- com