Re: Freelance desktop publishing

Subject: Re: Freelance desktop publishing
From: Stefan Fielding-Isaacs <sfi -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 14:00:07 PST

:: Linda asks whether $20/hr is a good rate for freelance desktop publishing.

Linda,

I think you need to provide more specifics of the job. The rate seems low
to me. If you are self-employed you definitely will have to charge more.
If you're doing the work on the side, then it may be a reasonable rate
(depending on your local market).

If the job involves any significant design aspects I would price them
separately. Something like this:

Portfolio design $750
Page layout design $400
Business card design $300-$500
Writing services $20/hr

You have to separate those elements of the process that are creative
from those that are just you providing a universally-available service
(like data-entry or text entry).

If I were to obtain any design services from you (included in that
$20/hr rate) I would be getting a steal of a bargain..

IMHO, of course.

Stefan

Art & Science
Technical Writing and Press Management Services
facsimile: 415.822.5654
vox/pager: 415.599.4876