Nouns & pronouns

Subject: Nouns & pronouns
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:56:55 IST

Other than that, all I can add is that the gender of nouns
strikes me as a separate issue from the gender of pronouns`
used to refer to nonspecific human beings.

** I'd assume that the idea that a nonspecific human being
gets a grammatical gender must seem less odd if
you're accustomed to a language in which every word
must get a grammatical gender-- sometimes (as with the
neuter "maedchen" in German) unrelated or even
opposed to the sex of what's referred to.
Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917