Re: notable notebook computer

Subject: Re: notable notebook computer
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 09:35:31 EST

Aldo Caputo <ACAPUTO -at- ACS -dot- SAULTC -dot- ON -dot- CA> writes:

> if you're flexible, try out the new Powerbook Duos from Apple: the
> Duo 250 or the 280. Both weigh in under 4 lbs and have active-matrix
> displays.

I agree with Aldo's recommendation. However, the new Duos are between
4 and 5 pounds, not under 4. The 270c (not 280) is the color version,
and it weighs 4.8 lbs. I think the 250 is a bit lighter. The passive-
matrix versions (230 and 210) are about 4.2 lbs.

I have a 270c, and I love it. The 210 model has been discontinued
(if you can find one, they're relatively cheap), and Apple's currently
running a $350 rebate on the 230 model (until the end of January, I think).

Alexandra Bernstein <ABERNSTE -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU> writes:

> So I would like a large screen and a comfortable, sensible keypad.

The Duo's keyboard keys are about 90% the size of a standard Mac
keyboard. (The non-Duo PowerBooks use full-size keys.) I type about
90 wpm, and I have no problem with the 270c's keyboard.

> Also something that I could hook up to a full-sized monitor at home.

The current PowerBook 1xx machines (with the full-size keys) all have
a port for connecting an external monitor (up to 16"). To connect an
external monitor to a Duo, you will need some sort of docking station
that has the video port; the cheapest is probably around $350 - $400.

If you consider a Duo, I strongly recommend that you read the Duo FAQ,
posted regularly to the Usenet newsgroup comp.sys.mac.portables and
available via anonymous ftp from rtfm.mit.edu.

If you have any questions about PowerBooks, feel free to ask.

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH 03062 admitting defeat."