Re: English for Asian readers

Subject: Re: English for Asian readers
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 12:53:00 EST

I'm curious as to where this thread is going. I guess I'm unclear
on the original point.

To me, this seems like a translation issue, not an original
writing one. Yes, we should write with translation in mind, but
avoiding the use of "you" goes against some common and familiar
English usage standards. The circumlocutions necessary to write
this way originally seem, IMHO, to preclude our doing so.

What was the reasoning behind the original question?

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer |
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab |
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | flush, v. Align type to the
President, San Diego STC | left or right, thereby
| beating a pair of aces
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Ezra Shapiro
punctuation and all, or the system gets |
upset. |