Re: Typeface/Let's Make it Clear (?)

Subject: Re: Typeface/Let's Make it Clear (?)
From: kendal stitzel <kensti -at- KENSTI -dot- AUTO-TROL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 12:13:45 MST

Maybe I don't speak academic, but doesn't "Let's Make it Clear!"
(by Paul Trummel and recently posted by Nancy Burns (nburns -at- noao -dot- edu))
seem a contradiction?

It makes me cringe to see phrases like, "Legible typographic design
comprises a codirectional concatenation governed by a reader profile that
relates to style or visible rhetoric...." and "Grapholectic: Written
vernacularisation of transdialectal language."

I'd lose my job if I wrote like that! Does this seem an unjustifiably
gross difference between theory and practice to anybody else?

Or am I just so far removed from the groves of academe that this style
of writing shouldn't surprise me if I just knew better?

(Please note: this is not to imply criticism of Nancy's kindly intent in
posting the article!)

kensti -at- Auto-trol -dot- com
(yeah, me again)

"Great Scott! That's rhetoric he's throwing! Anything but rhetoric!"
--villanous character in a comic book