Communication

Subject: Communication
From: Steven Owens <uso01 -at- MAILHOST -dot- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 09:19:26 -0600

Here's an interesting quote I just stumbled across. Thought the list might
find it interesting:

...There is a pervasive feeling that "communication"
has become more problematic. We may have more
words, but they seem to purchase less meaning. I
studied the new words for communication that
emerged in the `60s through the `80s, and found that
over half referred to deception, mystification, "psych
ing out" of various forms, and social pressure. Verbs
like "do a number on," "stonewall," "lean on," "put
down," and others tell a story of communication
becoming more problematic.

--Raymond Gozzi, Jr. Our Inflationary Language: A Metaphor of Communication
in ETC., A Review of General Semantics, Vol. 50, No. 4, Winter 1993-94