Re: Using the Term "User"

Subject: Re: Using the Term "User"
From: Carrie Walljasper <CARRIEW -at- MOM -dot- SPIE -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 14:24:45 -0700

Fred asks:

What do you write instead of "The user can use
this command to ..." in a spec or other context where the third person is
appropriate. (Or do you care?)

*****

I have used the word execute (The user can execute the command...), but I
don't like it. Neither have I liked the word "use" in "Display the address
record using the command..."

Is the word "using" above the best choice or is another word more appropriate?

(This step appears in text explaining how to use a more advanced command.
By this time, all readers should know how to display the address record.
I wrote the phrase "using the command..." to help those who can't remember
or need a hint.)

Carrie
CarrieW -at- mom -dot- spie -dot- org