Re: Indicating multilevel picks in menus

Subject: Re: Indicating multilevel picks in menus
From: Susan Gallagher <Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 09:49:00 EST

Steve Hollander wrote:
>In a recent posting, Fred Jacobsen mentioned using the pipe [|] and various
>other characters to make multilevel picks from menus--for example,

>File|Print
>would mean select File from the Main Menu, and Print from the File menu.

>In documenting PC programs, I prefer

>File\Print
>and don't find users (May I use that word?) confused about this semi-logical
>extension of directory\subdirectory notation.

>Other solutions?

At work, we use a ZaphDingbat arrow (ascii 0228) that's
reminiscent of (but not the same as) the arrow you see on
cascading menus.

In the stuff I do on my own, I've chosen a diamond-shaped
bullet (to avoid arguments between home and work).

Both seem to do well. I think that and device that leads
the eye from one menu selection to another works well.
**Users** make the connection readily and appreciate not
having to read the extra word it takes to say "select ...
from the ... menu" (which is also backward from the way they
select the options, so has always bothered me).

Sue Gallagher |
Sr. Technical Writer | "Updating a manual
Easel Corporation | is like changing tires
Enfin Technology Lab | on a moving car."
San Diego, CA | -- Edmond Weiss
Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com |