Re: Advice about tech comm depts

Subject: Re: Advice about tech comm depts
From: Mike Beyries <beyries -at- CSISDN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 15:54:20 PST

Fyi, here is my "short list" -- a job description for a single-person
Technical Communication Department, which I have run at 3 companies
now, in addition to my 5 years as a Tech Pubs Manager and 5 more
years as a "worker-bee" in a large department:

Duties:
1. Produce customer documentation (e.g., manuals, online help) for
<company name> products.
2. Support product development and release processes.
3. Help define and review marketing documentation.
4. Help standardize and formulate internal support documentation.
5. Define and implement a consistent, professional mode and tone for
communications.
Responsibilities:
A. Understand the intended audience.
B. Use the products as a customer would.
C. Accurately describe how to use products.
D. Advise product designers how to improve usability.
Opinions are not those of my employer, who consents to my use of this
Internet gateway.

Regards,
(beyries -at- csisdn -dot- com) | |
Technical Writer & Doer of Other Foul Deeds | Writing is easy: all you |
Located at Connective Strategies, Inc. | have to do is cross out |
465B Fairchild Dr. #207 | the wrong words. |
Mountain View, CA U.S.A. 94043 | |
Phone: 415-903-8382 ISDN | -- Mark Twain |