Re: Spelling Albuquerque & Travellers' Aide

Subject: Re: Spelling Albuquerque & Travellers' Aide
From: Barbara Rigg-Healy <brigg%ariel -dot- unm -dot- edu -at- EROS -dot- UNM -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1993 12:43:16 -0700

>> ^^^^^^^^^^
>> It's spelled Albuquerque.
>> _____________________________
>> \
>> Barbara Rigg-Healy suggests

>though some would like to see a reversion to an earlier spelling

>Alburquerque

>Isn't that the track Rudolfo Anaya is on?

>Steve

Yes, there are those who would like see the spelling changed to reflect the
founding Duke's family name. Anaya's latest book -- as you probably know,
Steve -- is titled "Alburquerque." Changing the spelling would cause a lot
of confusion, since Albuquerque residents are usually the only ones who can
spell it (and probably the only ones who care about how it's spelled!). If
we can't figure out how to spell it, certainly no one else will. Aaah
well, it will give our elected officials something to argue about at the
"Merry Roundhouse" (our state capitol building).

Anyway, I wish all you holiday travellers safe passage across those
frequently snowy mountain passes. Sorry I don't have a bed to offer for an
overnight crash; but if you need some help (car trouble, for example), a
resturant recommendation or just want to say "hola, como estas?", please
feel free to give me a call. I'll add my home number to my sig, too.
_____________________________
\
Barbara Rigg-Healy \
Technical Editor \
Computer and Information \
Resources and Technology \
University of New Mexico \ "White space never lies."
Albuquerque, NM 87131-6046 \
e-mail: brigg -at- unm -dot- edu \ -- Bill Horton
voice: (505) 277-8147 \
home: (505) 255-1357 \