Re: Texas Bar-B-Que

Subject: Re: Texas Bar-B-Que
From: Charles Sides <csides -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 10:58:03 EST

Well....I'm not sure what this has to do with technical writing, unless we
all agree that a really well-written recipe is a procedure, but I couldn't
help myself on this one, being a native North Carolinian. And I'll bet that
once you unleash the subject of Bar-B-Que (the food) as well as barbecue
(what you do when you stand in the smoke beside your grill--or better yet
the pit you've dug in your backyard) on this list, the posts will get
hot (ouch!).

Now for my two cents worth: the stuff with that tomato goo slathered on it
(and I do like it, by the way) is more like hot fudge ribs, with ketchup
substituted for the hot fudge. And they put it on everything--chicken, ribs,
steak, fish, you name it. Probably even spoon it up and eat it plain.

The real stuff--smoked and soaked in vinegar, red & black pepper, ketchup
(just a little for color), and some other secret ingredients--such as you
can get at Lexington Bar-B-Que in Lexington, NC or Bridge's in Shelby, NC
or, if you want entertainment beyond the folks serving up the food, at
Bill Stanley's Bar-B-Que and Bluegrass in Asheville, NC (all the standard
disclaimers apply here) can be found all over North Carolina. ['Bout wrote
myself into a corner there, didn't I?]

But watch out, the farther east you go (and this is especially true in SC)
you will run into places that use a mustard-based sauce. Who knows where
they came up with this idea?

Happy Holidays!

Charles Sides (csides -at- fscvax -dot- fsc -dot- mass -dot- edu)