Help on creating multi-media CD-ROM

Subject: Help on creating multi-media CD-ROM
From: John Lees <lees -at- CPS -dot- MSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1993 14:21:57 GMT

I've been asked to figure out what we need to put together a
multimedia presentation on CD-ROM. This is a new thing for me,
so I'm asking for advice.

I think what we want to end up with is basically a slide show
on CD-ROM, with written and perhaps spoken commentary on the
slides. The primary source material will be 35mm color slides.
(As many as we can fit on one CD.)

Specific questions:

1 Recommendations for a good slide scanner and software?

2 We'd like the resulting CD to be usable on as many
platforms as possible, at least Unix, DOS/Windows, and
Macintosh. Any comments on this beyond the article in
the November STC Intercom?

3 Is there a good source of detailed information on doing
this kind of thing? Book? Articles?

4 Is Adobe Acrobat anywhere near being usable? From what I
know of it, it would be ideal for this (with the sound
extension). If not, what kind of software is available
for people to use on various platforms to read such a
CD? Without Acrobat, is it reasonable to try for a multi-
platform CD at all?

We've got a bunch of Sun workstations, lots of disk, an 8mm tape
drive, CorelDRAW, and a Tektronix Phaser III PXi. Sounds like
what I need is a scanner to input the slides and the knowledge
of how to put together a tape to be used to cut the CD-ROM. I
know we could farm this out, but that would not be as much fun.

Thanks for the help.
John Lees, Pattern Recognition & Image Processing Laboratory
Systems Analyst & Lab Manager, Department of Computer Science
A714 Wells Hall, East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1027 USA
M i c h i g a n S t a t e U n i v e r s i t y
lees -at- cps -dot- msu -dot- edu, lees -at- msuegr -dot- bitnet, CIS 74106,1324