Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 11 Dec 1993

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 11 Dec 1993
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 09:51:51 -0825

>MS Word for Windows experts:
> How do I create a "symbols" file in MS Word so that a book
>title or version number automatically changes?
>Details:
>I'm using MSword for windows to write some documentation about
>a buncha products. Many of the names and the versions of these
>products will change between now and when the book is final. I have
>been using glossaries to make "shortcuts" for typing the book titles,
>product names, and version numbers.
> I *Thought* that if I, say, changed the definition of "v1" in
>the glossary to read "Version 1.2" that once the glossary was changed,
>all the changes would percolate thru my document and all the phrases
>that used to read "Version 1" (that had been defined with the v1
>glossary) would now read "Version 2". But that does not seem to work.

> For those of you who know sgml type stuff, I want to make
>symbols. I've perused the "SYMBOLS" entries in the MS word
>documentation, and they seem to be talking about "hieroglyphic-type"
>symbols and not the kind of symbols I mean. But maybe I'm just obtuse.

> I don't think I can use a style definition to do this, becaue
>a style definition will percolate the font, point and other changes
>thru, but not the CONTENT changes (like a new version number).

>If anybody knows... please feel free to write to me; no need to
>clutter the list.
>Thanks,
>Mary Beth Raven
>Raven -at- usable -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com
>603-881-2430

Mary Beth,

Although I use Word 5.1 for the Mac, I think its quite similar to the PC
version. My suggestion is to consider the possibility of creating links.
Word lets you link information from an original source in a document to
other places in the same document or in other Word docs, or even in other
applications. You only have to update the original source, then Word
automatically updates all other linked references.

Look under "Linking" in the Word manual's index. Hope this helps.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu