A Quandry about Titles...

Subject: A Quandry about Titles...
From: David Truman <dave -at- KLG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 12:57:05 -0500

Hello people...(from a first-time poster to TECHWR-L)

I've recently started a new job, and, being the first and only writer,
I have to define my own title (for business cards).

I've normally gone with the simple, "Dave Truman, Technical Writer".
But is this title still the best? Obviously, one should use a title that
describes what one does--if you don't do any illustrations for your
documentation, and you solely write, then "Technical Writer" probably
suits you best.

However, I'm assuming many of us, like myself, work with print as well as
graphics, graphic design, typography, etc.

I'm sort of torn between "Technical Writer", or "Technical Communicator".
They're closest to what I do, and I don't want to go for weird, off-the-wall
stuff like "Information Delivery Practitioner" (sounds too pretentious, like
"Sanitation Engineer").

I'd appreciate opinions anyone has on the current state-of-the-art titles
for our profession. Make a case for sticking with "Tech Writer", state your
reasons for going to "Tech Communicator", offer something completely
different, or just flame me for wasting bandwidth. All cheerfully accepted.

I don't know what's netiquettely-correct, but I'll post a summary of responses
if people want.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays (for those who get to take them! :( )
Dave
--
Dave Truman -- XRT Product Documentation and General WordSmith
KL Group Inc. | Phone: (416) 594-1026 Ext. 32