Mainframe info. for Carl Gotlieb

Subject: Mainframe info. for Carl Gotlieb
From: "JACK P. SHAW" <jsh -at- SOFTWARE-AG -dot- DE>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 11:02:25 MEZ

Sorry to bother the rest of you with this, but I
can't raise Carl Gotlieb directly, so I'm putting
out this APB for him regarding his request for
mainframe terminology:

Carl

TSO (Time-Sharing Option) is an older interactive mainframe
option that could be called an interactive monitor system, or
more commonly referred to as a TP (teleprocessing) monitor.

IMS (Information Management System) is IBM's non-SQL (structured
query language) database management system (DBMS).

CMS is to VM what TSO is/was to MVS: a Conversational Monitor
System, and hence a TP monitor. However, in the VM world, there
is the possibility to run other operating systems such as
MVS and VSE in CMS--so it's viewed as more than just an interactive
monitor. Therefore, it is itself usually referred to as an operating
system--VM/CMS. But if it's being used pure and not as a platform
for other operating systems, I'd call it, too, an interactive
monitor system or TP monitor.

Regards,
Jack Shaw/jsh -at- software-ag -dot- de