Job Descriptions

Subject: Job Descriptions
From: "John E. Brush" <brush -at- CIVENG1 -dot- CIV -dot- PITT -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 14:34:07 -0500

I'm part of a four person Technical Writing group, which
consists of a Manager, Sr. Tech. Writer (me), Tech. Writer,
and Graphic Artist.

For years we have functioned well as a group, but ever since our
department entered the computer age this harmony has eroded into
a battle over who is responsible for what. Our present job
descriptions (or lack of) don't clearly define an individual's
responsibility toward his or her computer. Has the introduction
of computers made it necessary to add a fifth person, who is
responsible for computer training, maintenance, and program
selection? Or has it become the responsibility of the individual
to not only be a good writer or illustrator, but to also be a
computer whiz?

Since I may be inheriting this group at the end of the year, I'd
like to update everyone's job description before things get too
far out of hand. So what I'm looking for are some modern-day job
descriptions of writers and illustrators who perform their work
on computers.

Happy New Year!

John Brush
Sr. Tech. Writer
brush -at- civeng1 -dot- civ -dot- pitt -dot- edu