Re: Tools of choice, and tangents

Subject: Re: Tools of choice, and tangents
From: Dean Elzinga <elzinga -at- INFERENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 23:14:53 PST

The discussion about Tool of Choice is just fine. I don't expect too
much from newsgroups and mailing lists. Occasionally they pleasantly
surprise me. I like to be surprised. But if I always expected
cutting-edge, well crafted messages full of expertise and insight, I
would often be disappointed. And I can hardly hope people will jump
headlong into deep discussions.

The kind of questions best suited to this medium have answers that
would fit on a Post-It. At least, that is how it seems to me.

Unless things have changed, many mailing lists are stomping grounds
for cranks and hacks. I'm thankful enough that doesn't seem true
of TECHWR-L

(My bad experiences with previous lists and newsgroups included
research interests of mine: sci.logic, sci.physics, sci.skeptic,
comp.graphics, WORDS-L and sometimes soc.motss. Discussions are
monopolized by amateurs, zealots, and people with Post-It questions.)

My Tool-of-Choice? I've been using Scribe on Unix here for a while,
with a smattering of Microsoft Word and some FrameMaker just around
the corner.

--Dean Elzinga
elzinga -at- inference -dot- com