Re: What is quality?

Subject: Re: What is quality?
From: Fred Wersan <wersan -at- ZEUS -dot- MA30 -dot- BULL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1993 13:15:33 EST

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: Paul Sholar <pks -at- GENSYM -dot- COM>
This leads me to a closing opinion. Every day I become more convinced that
what technical communicators do is, in the medium to long run, bound to
become a predominantly "out-sourced" activity. I think that there is probably
a good living to be made for persons willing to organize commercial ventures
that provide these kinds of "total" document-production services to
product-development companies.

Your comments are welcome.

Paul Sholar pks -at- gensym -dot- com
Senior Technical Writer
Gensym Corporation
Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

----- End Included Message -----

I sure hope you're right. Our documentation dept. has become part of a separate
business unit. We need to sell our services both internally and externally. If
we don't we're history.

Your other comments also have a lot of substance. Our quality policy says that
quality is conformance to customer requirements. I think the gist of many of
the comments that have come in on this thread is that customer requirements for
documentation may ask for a level of "quality" that is less than we think is
required, or may not specify the requirements well enough to measure quality.

Most of the requirements documents I see do not contain any requirement for
measuring the documentation against any particular standard of use. On the one
hand this provides a lot of freedom. On the other hand, it doesn't build into
the system an impetus to allocate resources for testing of manuals. I've tried
to do some usability testing on a recent project by getting questionnaires
sent out to customers. I even got one back. My first customer input. It's meager
but it's progress.

Fred Wersan
Bull HN Informations Systems
MA30/872A