Re: Bozos

Subject: Re: Bozos
From: Don M Chaffee <dchaffee -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 00:34:58 GMT

Ram Bone <jendicot -at- nyx -dot- cs -dot- du -dot- edu> writes:

>> Lighten up, Dean. We're all just Bozos on this bus.

>At the risk of projecting an image of excessive frivolity, I was
>wondering...are many technical communicators into the Firesign Theatre? It
>would make sense, given their obsession with complex machinery and prowess
>with language.

Ram, I absolutely deny the existence of anything even remotely resembling
"excessive frivolity," especially when it comes to us docos.

>Incidentally, I'm told the word "bozo" comes from the Spanish "bozotros"...

Actually, according to The Big Dic (Webster's Second, the authority when
it comes to usage and style), bozo comes from the Spanish (your source
was right, so far) "bozal," meaning "fellow." Or am I missing a good pun
here, Mr. Bone?

Don Chaffee
Riparian Writes
Wellesley Hills, MA