Re: Bozos

Subject: Re: Bozos
From: Ram Bone <jendicot -at- NYX -dot- CS -dot- DU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 08:24:10 -0700

Don M. Chaffee writes:

Actually, according to The Big Dic (Webster's Second, the authority when
it comes to usage and style), bozo comes from the Spanish (your source
was right, so far) "bozal," meaning "fellow." Or am I missing a good pun
here, Mr. Bone?

(end quote)

Yeah, and actually it's a pun it took me a while to get. It's a play on
the Spanish "vosotros," which as I understand it is a respectful form of
the third person. However, in Spanish, the "v" is pronounced like a
"b"...hence the pun.

See you on the freeway...which is already in progress!

John Endicott
jendicot -at- nyx -dot- cs -dot- du -dot- edu