Re: What is quality?

Subject: Re: What is quality?
From: Gotlieb Carl R1478C <r1478c -at- TEMPECCPB -dot- SPS -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 12:40:04 MST

I used to work in the hardware design department of a telephone switching
equipment firm. Every year the dept. had projects to increase quality and
reduce costs. As the only tech writer, I was asked to reduce the number of
engineering forms that our engineers had to complete prior to design reviews
of their work. At the end of this project, we figured (mainly, my boss
figured) that we saved the company $50,000 per year in engineering time, time
which used to be spent filling out repetitious forms.

That was the only technical writing project I've worked on for which some
empirical evidence of quality was measured.

Carl Gotlieb