Written to online?

Subject: Written to online?
From: lpraderio -at- CLIFF -dot- WHOI -dot- EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 11:30:19 EST

Comments please.

I'm trying to put together a doc plan on how to go about documenting a new
program. It's a non-intuitive, hierarchical program: plug in data sets (from
field experiments or models), manipulate many complex parameters, spit out
results. The word is that it could take 2-10 weeks for an intermediate
computer cruncher in the specific science field to learn to use the program.
Handholding will be available as well as manuals and online help.

This is what I was going to do, what do you think?

Recommend preparing written installation guide, combo user guide and tutorial,
combo user and analytical (database and algorithm) references in that order;
then try and use chunks of writing for the online help (descriptions only, not
context sensitive is the vote already).

So how do you make sure, if possible, that what you write can be used for
online help? Eventually this material may migrate to an online hypertext help
system. What issues do you consider now for the written material given that
future hypertext twist?

Laura Praderio
Woods Hole