Re: Page to Frame

Subject: Re: Page to Frame
From: Elaine M Brennan <ELAINE -at- BROWNVM -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 10:10:39 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 1994 14:09:34 -0600 Joe Fockler said:

>That could lead to a market monopoly. I like the fact that each
>company must be innovative and clever. Makes the job tasks a
>little more difficult, but gives us more products to choose
>from.

>Perhaps they could come up with some type of "universal export filter"
>like a binary file which is compatible across platforms and/or
>packages.

>Joe
>According to Jonathan Leer : +
>+ At some point we will have to force software vendors to make these packages
>+ compatible with each other.
>+

Or perhaps people and companies could begin thinking about
their data as the important piece of writing and editing, rather than being
driven by what a particular software tool can do. Then the focus would be
where it belonged, on the information that one is trying to convey; well-
structured and designed information could then be used, re-used, printed,
displayed, moved to a database, or anything else you wanted to do with it,
with the only software question being "which tool does what I need done
right now the best?" -- the data could remain pristine ... in other words,
think SGML!

Elaine Brennan