Indexing glossary entries?

Subject: Indexing glossary entries?
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 11:36:28 -0500

Gentle people,

An engineer here recently mentioned to me how nice he thought it would be
if our manuals included all glossary entries in the index. My automatic
reaction was, "How hard can it be to just go to the glossary and look up
the term?" The engineer countered, "If a reader is just generally looking
for information about a topic, and didn't think to look at the glossary,
the reader might like the gentle reminder that the term is glossed. That
glossary entry might give all the information the reader wants."

That engineer has a point.

I have a two questions.

1. What do you think?

2. If you like the idea, how would you implement it? Our glossaries are
always Appendix A, and appendices are letter-number pages (A1, A2, ...).
We use only plain text numbers (no bold, italics, etc.) in our index
entries.

Idea a) Use bold text to indicate "glossary":

Trunk Group, 17, <A10>
in Circuit Order Item view, 57
in DIF to TAN Report, 103, 104
in Trunk Group Report, 94, 96
in Trunk Group view, 64

Idea b) Make a "defined" entry to indicate "glossary":

Trunk Group, 17
defined, A10
in Circuit Order Item view, 57
in DIF to TAN Report, 103, 104
in Trunk Group Report, 94, 96
in Trunk Group view, 64

Thanks!

jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehooplerachelsingerslonnie
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |mackandtwangandeddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadytakeiteasy
Terre Haute, IN -- The Silicon Cornfield