Career Info for Andy

Subject: Career Info for Andy
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 16:18:08 PST

Although I am a writer of that dreaded software documentation and
should not, therefore, give you advice about science writing, let me
make some comments, at least.

First, because I live here, I do know that San Diego, California has
very, very many biotechnology firms and scientific research
facilities. (Did I once hear someone say that San Diego is the
biotechnology capital of the US?) And, because I am an active STC
member here, I also know that technical writers and editors with a
degree in physics are in demand in these places.

When I attended a talk on writing for biotechnology firms about a year
ago, I believe the average salary for such a writer was well above
your $20,000 requirement. (I remember wishing I had a BS instead of a
BA.) Of course, I assume you're talking Arizona dollars, which would
have to be adjusted for California, believe me!

As for that shortage of technical writers that you speak of, where did
you read this? Maybe that's an Arizona-only fact, too.

Good luck!

Beth Vollbach
evollbach -at- logicon -dot- com
Logicon/Fourth Generation Technology