Re: Caution Rewrite

Subject: Re: Caution Rewrite
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 11:00:51 EST

Regarding this heater/feet/caution conversation, here's how I'd
handle it... All IMHO, of course -- worth what you paid for it. :-)

First, I'd try to convince the heater designers that this whole feet
business is a design flaw -- you shouldn't be able to attach the feet
incorrectly, and you shouldn't be able to operate the heater without
feet. Fix the problem, and the need for the caution statement goes
away.

Assuming that I have to live with the current design, I'd put the
warning first, then mention operating the heater, then mention the
restriction -- something like this:

CAUTION: RISK OF FIRE
Before operating this unit, ensure that the heater's feet are
attached in the correct position.

I'd probably follow the warning with two illustrations -- one showing
the "right" way, one the "wrong way" -- with the "wrong" version having
a circle-and-slash. This assumes that there's one obvious "wrong"
position.

In earlier posts, several folks have reworded the warning to reference
the position of the feet, then mention operation, like this:

> CAUTION--RISK OF FIRE
> BE SURE THE HEATER'S FEET ARE ATTACHED
> IN CORRECT POSITION DURING OPERATION

Quick readers may not care about feet, but they will care about
operating the heater; that's why I started with "Before operating
the heater."

Whether the reference is to "feet" or "base" would depend on whether
the object(s) in question look more like "feet" or a "base." I'd also
make sure the terminology is consistent throughout the manual.

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH USA 03062 admitting defeat."