Re: English Legislation

Subject: Re: English Legislation
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 10:32:36 PST

California has English-only laws? It doesn't seem likely. Here in San Jose,
the voting information forms were in English and Spanish, and the signs
at the Light Rail stations are in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and a
couple more languages I don't recognize offhand. While I sometimes think
that English-only laws might help provide a cultural unity in our
ever-fragmenting country, I have to say that seeing these signs gives me
a sort of comfort in that I feel more like a world citizen in a wonderfully
diverse region of the world. Instead of trying to get everyone to learn
English (though I still think it's a good idea for anyone living in the U.S.),
I'm seriously contemplating taking some classes in these other languages.

Anatole Wilson "If I should say to a novice,
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer 'write from experience only,'
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs I should feel that this was
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com rather a tantalizing monition
if I were not careful to add,
'try to be one of the people
on whom nothing is lost.'"
all company disclaimers apply --Henry James