Re: homophones

Subject: Re: homophones
From: Deborah Adair <Deborah_Adair -at- TALIGENT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 13:44:46 -0800

Reply to: RE>>homophones
Bonni writes:
How about "for all intensive purposes" rather than "intents and purposes".
GRRR

Ahh. Now there's one I've probably been guilty of, at least in speaking. I'm
not sure if it's the use of computers, or just the rate of change in the
language (which computers might well contribute to). Many of the items
mentioned or that have appeared on the list ('chopping at the bit') are
phrases that have been 'popularized' and used outside of their original
context. If you don't know where a phrase originated, it makes just as much
sense to you mangled-you understand the popular meaning, as do most of the
people you're speaking/writing to. Communication still happens. It's a
different case than simple homophone confusion (there, their, they're), it's
probably more related to the game we played as kids where you start whispering
an unfamiliar phrase around a circle & an entirely different phrase comes back
to you.

deborah
deborah_adair -at- taligent -dot- com