Re: Briticisms and Americanisms

Subject: Re: Briticisms and Americanisms
From: Shannon Ford <shannon -at- UNIFACE -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 08:05:18 +0100

What about the use of `Cheers'...do Americans use this? I can't remember any
more, I've been around Brits for too long now. British accents seem normal
to me, even :-)

One Americanism that is reviled by all: `Have a nice day'. I find this funny
because every culture I've lived in (ok, only 3 ) has something similar.
My husband read somewhere that everyone in America (slight exaggeration)
now says `Missing you already' instead of `Have a nice day'. Is this true?
Or did some reporter have one frightening experience in a Hollywood cafe?

On a personal level, though, I have definately adopted some British terms at
the expense of my mother tongue, like nappy and dummy. I feel quite
adamant about not calling a lady bug a lady bird, though.

Cheers,

Shannon