[LISTSERV -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Jan 1994 to 28 Jan 1994]

Subject: [LISTSERV -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu: TECHWR-L Digest - 26 Jan 1994 to 28 Jan 1994]
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 08:18:07 -0500

Judy Grobe Sachs asks for opinions:
>But we're getting into Unix now, so that will not work any longer. I
>refuse to use brackets or the like to indicate variables (for fear that
>they'll think they're required and type them), and italics
>don't show up online, so I'm not quite sure yet what we're going to
>use for this in our brave new world. Any ideas?

This may sound like the ultimate copout on one hand. But, on the other, it
relies on what the "industry" has forced to be more-or-less standard.

Check other UNIX docs and see how they do it. Then do it that way.

So, if you find that variables are commonly surrounded by < and >, then just
use them. If your users have used other UNIX docs (and they probably have!),
they'll understand.

jim grey
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com
Terre Haute, IN -- The Silicon Cornfield