Re[2]: homophones, also some opinions and a question

Subject: Re[2]: homophones, also some opinions and a question
From: Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 09:34:00 EST

> But we're
> getting into Unix now, so that will not work any longer. I refuse
> to use brackets or the like to indicate variables (for fear that
> they'll think they're required and type them), and italics
> don't show up online, ... Any ideas?

Something that's worked for me with both gurus and technophobes is to
use a construction like myfile.txt. They see the 'my' and realize that
they need to type a file name of their own. A few people actually type
myfile.txt but it's a legal file name, so that's no huge problem.

Hope that helps!

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer | Most software is run by
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | confused users acting on
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | incorrect and incomplete
President, San Diego STC | information, doing things
| the designer never expected.
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Paul Heckel, quoted
punctuation and all, or the system gets | by William Horton
upset. |