Telecommuting

Subject: Telecommuting
From: "Chuck Murray, ZK2-2/R94, DTN 381-2648 31-Jan-1994 0837" <cmurray -at- 4GL -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 08:54:42 EST

Frank Saucier posted a series of questions about telecommuting. I
don't telecommute and don't have any real interest in doing so, so
I can't help with his specific questions. I'd just like to mention,
though, something from an article in a recent editing of the Boston
Phoenix ["alternative" newspaper] entitled something like "Attack of
the Killer Bees...Predictions and Trends That Didn't Happen."

Along with predictions like robots in every home and soccer becoming
the US national pastime, the article mentions telecommuting. I forget
the exact analysis, but I believe its main point was that telecommuting
hasn't "caught on" mainly because our social relationships at work
are extremely important, both personally and professionally, and
telecommuting removes us from the daily face-to-face contact that's
vital to maintaining those relationships.

- Chuck Murray (cmurray -at- 4gl -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com)