Origin of the AT Symbol

Subject: Origin of the AT Symbol
From: "JAMES MCCORMICK - MT. ROYAL COLLEGE" <JMCCORM -at- MTROYAL -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 10:19:54 -0700

Dear People,

Forgive a "newbie" question but I'm writing user manuals for simple
Internet usage and wondered if there was a technical name for the At symbol
"@". It is variously defined in dictionaries as "at" or "each" and I've
spoken to some people who know it as the "per" symbol. The local librarians
are stumped and symbol dictionaries don't seem to lend any assistance.

I just wanted to confirm that it is only called an "At symbol" before I
distribute my user docs to hundreds of people.

Thanks for any help.

* James S. McCormick, Supervisor, End User Computing *
* Information Systems, Mount Royal College *
* Calgary, Alberta, CANADA, T3E 6K6 *