Somethink to thing about

Subject: Somethink to thing about
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 10:38:21 IST

Jim Gifford writes:

I, for one don't see how your earlier awareness of one version over the
other proves anything about which predates which.

** Moreover, as various true confessions have pointed out, what we think
we hear is not necessarily what people are saying.

PS - Can't get through directly to Lavonna for the survey, but
growing up in Massachusetts in the fifties, where Sue
Gallagher was hearing "thing," I was hearing "think."
"Thing" was news to me last week.

PPS - In my current neck of the woods, the "commercial at" is known
vividly if informally by non-English-speakers as the "strudel".
Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917