Re: American Heritage Dictionary

Subject: Re: American Heritage Dictionary
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 22:46:34 -0800

Stephen Bernhardt said:
> But then the question is where do we want usage information, in a work of
> descriptive lexicographic scholarship (a dictionary) or in a book on usage
> (a different sort of reference).

I find the usage notes helpful in a dictionary--they are also
descriptive scholarship, though I admit they inform in a
different way than purely lexicographic data. I generally feel
like the usage notes enable me to use the word properly in my
own sentences in a way that the mere definition does not.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com