Re: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!

Subject: Re: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!
From: Don M Chaffee <dchaffee -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 22:05:54 GMT

Karen Kay <karenk -at- netcom -dot- com> writes:

>Don M Chaffee said:
>> It's "jigabyte," dammit, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I am
>> not making this up.

>This reminds me of arguments about the pronunciation of '.gif'.
>All the documentation states it's pronounced w/ a soft g,
>but I've only ever heard one person pronounce it that way.

Ah, well, _clearly_ ".gif" is of Germanic etymology and should be
pronounced the way a 4-year-old pronounces things on birthdays and at
Christmas and/or Hanuka. See, the Franks and Huns, Alans, and other
tribes, heard how all those effete greco-romans talked and decided to do
it differently, kind of like Ross Perot. I am not making this up.

Don