Re: Re[2]: STC Competitions

Subject: Re: Re[2]: STC Competitions
From: Tom Hoyt <hoyt -at- OPTIGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 16:43:03 PST

It seems that every year the STC competitions foster a
second, internal competition to see who can gripe the most
about judges' comments, pubs. categories, and judging
criteria, and I think that this can be a positive thing
for STC. This feedback is critical to the growth and development
of these competitions and should be encouraged.

Over the last several years, the society has sponsored an
open debate about all aspects of the competitions, primarilly
via an open forum at the Annual Conference, where local, regional,
and international competition managers for publications, art,
and video meet to discuss proposed changes and exchange ideas about how to
improve the competitions at
all levels. This year's forum is on Tuesday, May 17th at 2:00
pm, so bring your complaints and suggestions and give us an
earful, or if you can't be in Minneapolis, send them to me
(I'm moderating the session) and I will make sure they get addressed.

If you have complaints about the judging of your local entries,
call the competition manager(s) and tell them about the problem.
If you REALLY want to improve your chapter's competition next year,
volunteer to be the competition manager and show us how a competition
should really be run.

Tom Hoyt
Chapter Development Stem Manager
41st Annual Conference
hoyt -at- optigfx -dot- com (address good until 2/9/94)

It looks like I got into this thread a bit too late and missed many
general comments, so if you would like to resend them to me for the
forum to address, please do so.