Re: Competition judging

Subject: Re: Competition judging
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 22:54:33 GMT

> How will a judge know what audience characteristics were assumed...
> Any suggestions for a method?

A blank on the entry form that allows the entrant to comment
on this and other matters.

For what it's worth: I've always given them a good critique
for their money, attempting to judge substance as well as
writing style and appearance. So do most (though certainly
not all) of the other judges I've rubbed scoresheets with.

The comments are always constructive and genteel, but certainly
not always positive. It's my belief that the contest should
alway provide candid and expert feedback, and that, at the
international level, it should at least aspire in the general
direction of being the Pulitzer prize of technical writing.
It may never achieve that level, but it should certainly *not*
be a caucus race -- that not only cheapens the prize, but also
cheats the entrants out of a valuable source of information.

Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
Disclaimer: Even if my employer had a position on the subject,
I probably wouldn't be the one stating it on their behalf.